- Notify your surgeon if you become ill prior to surgery.
- If you experience an injury, rash, sore or infection in the area your surgery is to be performed, notify your surgeon.
- Shower or bathe the night before or the morning of your surgery using an antibacterial soap. Do not apply body lotions, make up, deodorant or powders.
- If you have an advanced directive, bring it with you to the hospital.
- If you have questions, write them down and bring your list of questions with you to the hospital. You will have time to ask questions prior to your surgery.
- It is important that you follow the below instructions to prevent your operation from being postponed or cancelled. This is for your own safety.
After 11 p.m. the night before your operation/procedure:
- Do not eat or drink anything. Do not drink any water or beverages. Do not eat any kind of food. This includes no candy, no gum, no breath mints and no cough drops.
- Do not smoke. In addition, smoking is not allowed anywhere on the St Mary Mercy Hospital Campus.
- You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth.
- Some patients require bowel prep before their operation or procedure. Be sure you follow all instructions given to you by your surgeon.
- If you have been instructed to take medications the day of surgery, you may take them with a sip of water. It is important that you follow the instructions given regarding medications to take or hold the morning of surgery.