|Cancer Care at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) offers a continuum of advanced cancer treatment, from acute inpatient care to outpatient services, cutting-edge diagnostic and surgical options and award-winning palliative care. Approximately 1,000 patients each year choose us for their comprehensive cancer treatment.
Our program accreditation with commendation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer demonstrates that we meet the highest quality care standards. We have access to ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options, so patients can receive the latest treatment while remaining at home, where they are most comfortable. Our multi-disciplinary team of cancer specialists meets weekly to coordinate the most appropriate treatment plan, which is individualized to meet the physical, mental and spiritual needs of our patients, their families and the community.
Here are just a few of the SJMO cancer program highlights:
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) accreditation for our breast program—one of only six organizations in Michigan to achieve this prestigious honor
- Our Breast Imaging Center was one of the first Breast Imaging Center of Excellence programs in the state recognized by the American College of Radiology
- Dedicated nurse navigators for our breast diagnostic and breast cancer programs
- Gynecologic Oncology Program—one of only 13 in the state dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of women with cancer of the reproductive organs
- Addition of I-Logic equipment to allow physicians to use Electromagnetic Navigational Bronchoscopy (ENB) has expanded our lung cancer program capabilities. Using ENB, physicians can view deeper into the lungs, better enabling them to diagnose, stage and prepare to treat lung lesions
- Our radiation oncology program provides the latest advances in treatment, including TomoTherapy - the first treatment of its kind in Oakland County, along with IMRT/IGRT, HDR and partial breast irradiation.
- State leader in number of colorectal surgeries performed using the robotic da Vinci Surgical System
- More than 150 clinical trials are available for every stage of cancer—from prevention and symptom management to treatment. Our major affiliate is Mayo Clinic, although we offer trials from every national cooperative group in the country
- Member of the Mercy Cancer Network, one of Michigan’s largest cancer care networks that links local hospitals and cancer centers throughout Michigan to provide patients and families access to the most advanced medicine and latest in cancer diagnostics, clinical research trials and therapeutic technology.
For more information, call the Cancer Program at 248-858-3456.
National Cancer Institute
American Cancer Society
Commission on Cancer