The St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor Colon and Rectal Surgery Residency emphasizes scholarly activity to include meritorious research. We are very active in National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) and Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative (MSQC) database analysis projects, all of which have resulted in presentation at regional and national meetings with resultant publication. Randomized controlled trials are available on a limited basis because they are difficult to complete in one year.
- Kaoutzanis C, Leichtle SW, Mouawad NJ, Welch KB, Lampman RM, Wahl WL, Cleary RK. Risk factors for postoperative wound infections and prolonged hospitalization after ventral/incisional hernia repair. Hernia 2013; DOI:10.1007/s10029-013-1155-y PMID:24030572
- Kerwel TG, Leichtle SW, Asgeirsson T, Hendren SK, Cleary RK, Luchtefeld MA. Risk factors for readmission after elective colectomy: postoperative complications are more important than patient and operative factors. Dis Colon Rectum 2014; 57:98-104 PMID # 2431695
- • Casillas MA, Leichtle SW, Wahl WL, Lampman RM, Welch KB, Wellock T, Madden EB, Cleary RK. Improved Perioperative and Short-term Outcomes of Rbotic versus Conventional Laparoscopic Colorectal Operations. Am J Surg 2014 PMID:24239530
- Kaoutzanis C, Leichtle SW, Mouawad NJ, Welch KB, Lampman RM, Cleary RK. Postoperative Surgical Site Infections After Ventral/Incisional Hernia Repair - A Comparison of Open and Laparoscopic Outcomes. SurgEndosc 2012; in press
- Hendren S, Fritze D, Banerjee M, Kubus J, Cleary RK, Englesbe MJ, Campbell DA Jr. Antibiotic Choice Is Independently Associated With Risk of Surgical Site Infection After Colectomy: A Population-Based Cohort Study. Ann Surg. 2012 Oct 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cleary RK. Anal Fissure. CREST Curriculum. 2012
- Leichtle SD, Mouawad MJ, Welch KB, Lampman, RM, Cleary RK. Risk Factors for Anastomotic Leakage After Colectomy. Dis Colon Rectum 2012;55:569-575
- Leichtle SW, Mouawad NJ, Lampman R, Singal B, Cleary RK. Does Preoperative Anemia Adversely Affect Colon and Rectal Surgery Outcomes ? J Am CollSurg 2011;212:187-194
- Fader JP, Cleary RK, Lampman RM, Singal BM, Plona AE. Does Intrathecal Morphine Provide Preemptive Analgesia for Patients Undergoing Stapled Hemorrhoidopexy ? Pain Medicine 2011;12:322-327
- Stefanou A, Nalamati SPM. Anorectal melanoma. Clin Colon Rectal Surg 2011;24:171-176
- Stefanou AJ, Reickert CA, Velanovich V, Falvo A, Rubinfeld I. Laparoscopic colectomy statistically decreases length of stay when compared to open operation. Surgical Endoscopy. 2011 Jul 27. Published online, print publication pending. Presented at SAGES, San Antonio, TX, April 2011 and Michigan Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Grand Rapids, MI May 2011.
- Eggenberger JC. Carcinoid and Other Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Colon and Rectum. In: Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery 2011; 24(3):129-134.
- Colon and Rectal Robotic Surgery. In Essentials of Robotic Surgery, Spry Publishing, Eds. Sood M, Leichtle SW. 2013
- Tam MS, Kaoutzanis C, Mullard AJ, Welch KB, Kraphol G, Leichtle SW, Cleary RK, et. al. Conversion Rates Are Lower with Robotic than with Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery, presented at the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Annual Meeting, Hollywood, FL, May 17-21, 2014
- Kaoutzanis C, Leichtle SW, Tam MS, KB Welch, Hendren S, Cleary RK. Using ChloraPrep versus DuraPrep or Alcohol versus Non-alcohol Based Skin Preparations Does not Affect the Incidence of Surgical Site Infections after Colorectal Operations, presented at the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Annual Meeting, Hollywood, FL, May 17-21, 2014
- Cleary RK. Incorporating Robotics into Resident and Fellow Training, presented at the American Society of Colon and rectal Surgeons Annual Meeting, Hollywood, FL, May 17- 21, 2014
- Cleary RK. Pathway to Enhanced Recovery After Surgery, presented at the Michigan Society of Anesthesiologists Scientific Session and Annual Meeting, Troy, MI, March 8, 2014
- Lin Y, Stefanou AJ, Cleary RK. Discharge to an Elevated Level of Care: a NSQIP Analysis of Risk Factors in Colorectal Surgery, presented at the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Meeting, San Diego, CA, July 13-16, 2013
- Cleary RK. Enhanced Recovery Initiative – St Joseph Mercy Hospital, presented at the Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative Quarterly Meeting, Schoolcraft College, Livonia, MI, June 7, 2013
- Cleary RK. Robotic Low Anterior Resection. Live Case Presentation. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Meeting, Phoenix, Az, April 29, 2013.
- Cleary RK. "The Vessel Sealer in Robotic Colorectal Surgery", presented at the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgery Meeting, Baltimore, MD, April 17, 2013.
- Stefanou AJ. Anal Adenocarcinoma: Outcomes remain poor despite multimodality therapy. Oral Presentation at Chicago Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Chicago, IL, May 2012.
- Stefanou AJ. A Novel Use of Flexible Wallstent in J Pouch Anastomotic Stricture. Poster Presentation at SAGES, San Diego, CA March 2012.
- Cleary RK. "Robotic Colon and Rectal Surgery", presented at the Robotic Colorectal Fellowship Course, Sunnyvale, CA, September 24-25 and October 8-9, 2012
- Cleary RK, “Postoperative Outcomes Initiative and Clinical Studies”, presented at the Postoperative Outcomes Initiative and Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative Quarterly Meeting, Schoolcraft College, Livonia, MI, September 7, 2012
- Cleary RK. "Advancing Outcomes With Robotic-Assisted Colorectal Surgery in a Community Hospital Setting", presented at the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons National Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, June 4, 2012
- Cleary RK. "Enhanced Recovery Protocol", presented at Grand Rounds, St Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI, January 3, 2012
- Cleary RK. "Fast Track Surgery" Panel Discussion, Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative Quarterly Meeting, Schoolcraft College, Livonia, MI, December 9, 2011
- Cleary RK. "Robotic Colon and Rectal Surgery", presented at the Michigan Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Meeting, Troy, Mi, October 20-23, 2010
- Englesbe MJ, Brooks L, Kubus J, Luchtefeld M, Lynch J, Senagore A, Eggenberger JC,Velanovich V, Campbell DA Jr. A statewide assessment of surgical site infection following colectomy: the role of oral antibiotics. Ann Surg. 2010 Sep;252(3):514-9; discussion 519-20.