The Pastoral Care Department at Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor (SJMAA) is pleased to offer Clinical Pastoral Education programs within the dynamic learning environment of our hospital and regional health system. Currently, we offer fall and spring semester, part-time internships and a summer, full-time intensive internship, all of which are accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. For more information, click on http://acpe.edu/ to view the ACPE website.
CPE is theological education facilitated by adult learning theory for the professional development of pastoral ministers. We understand CPE to be "process learning." By this we emphasize CPE as experiential learning that occurs in a progression of steps in which you as a student may repeatedly encounter similar learning issues over time, but with increasing insight or self-understanding. Our teaching method includes conducting a variety of seminars and practicums designed to facilitate your reflection on your ministry experience leading to the integration of a new understanding based on that reflection. We support each unit with didactic presentations, written assignments, and, of course, clinical ministry opportunities.
Our CPE program is conducted within the context of the Pastoral Care Department and our Catholic sponsored health system. Our clinically trained staff chaplains serve as mentors to our CPE interns. Together we provide thoughtful and compassionate spiritual care that respects the religious and cultural traditions of the patients, visitors, and staff whom we serve in ministry.
Rev. Bill Foster, MDiv, BCC
Department Director | ACPE Supervisor
Pastoral Care Services
Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital offers combined programs of Level I and Level II CPE.
Type of Internship Programs Offered
- Fall Semester, 16 weeks, from late August to mid December (25 hours/week)
- Spring Semester, 16 weeks, from early February to May (25 hours/week)
- Summer Intensive, 11 weeks, from early June to mid August (37 hours/week)
- $25 application fee (applies toward tuition)
- $75 acceptance fee (applies toward tuition)
- $800 tuition for each unit or program of CPE
- Four days of orientation in the first two weeks of the program
- Mentoring system utilized primarily with staff chaplains
- 550 bed tertiary care teaching hospital
- Major medical specialties include heart and vascular, oncology, family birthing
- Anchor hospital for large regional health system
Pastoral Care Services
- 24/7 on-site pastoral ministry services delivered by staff and intern chaplains
- Clinically trained and certified chaplains serving medical specialty areas
- Free parking
- Meals provided during clinical shifts
- Chaplains' on call room in the on campus hotel
- No person will be denied acceptance on the basis of race, gender, age, faith group, national origin, or sexual orientation.
Statement of Confidentiality and Student Rights
(This annual notice is published in accordance with ACPE Standard 304.4):
- This ACPE CPE center/program guarantees to its students the rights to inspect and review education records, to seek to amend them, to specified control over release of record information, and to file a complaint against the program for alleged violations of these Family Education and Privacy Act (FERPA) rights.
- A student has the right to object to record content. If not negotiable, the written objection will be kept with and released with the record. Letter grades are exempted from this right.
- Violations of these protocols may be reported to the Chair of the Accreditation Commission at: ACPE; 1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103; Decatur, Georgia; 30033.
Professional Certification or Membership, Seminary Degrees, and Ordinations
- Credits for completed units of CPE may be applied towards requirements for seminary degrees and ordinations, as well as membership and/or certification in the following professional organizations:
- American Association of Pastoral Counselors
- Association for Professional Chaplains
- Association for Clinical Pastoral Education
- National Association of Catholic Chaplains
- National Association of Jewish Chaplains