Congratulations on your upcoming delivery!
Throughout life, we prepare for things that matter and planning for the birth of your baby is no exception! Every woman’s labor experience is completely unique and during labor and delivery, you may have personal preferences as well.
When preparing for one of the most exciting days of your life, take time to think through the details of your goals, hopes and desires for this special day.
The Labor and Delivery team at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) encourages our pregnant patients to create a birth plan. A birth plan contains simple, clear statements with your preferences for the birth of your child and throughout your hospital stay. It is an effective way to communicate important details with those responsible for supporting and caring for you.
As there are so many aspects of birth to consider, it is best not to wait until the last minute to put your plan together. You should provide a copy of your birth plan to everyone directly involved in the birth of your baby, including your physician or midwife.
Keep in mind a birth plan may need to change and you should try to remain reasonably flexible, should this occur. Remember, the most important thing is the safe birth of your little bundle of joy. Keeping that goal in mind, the following points can serve as a guide as you prepare your birth plan.
- Do you have individuals you would like present during labor (i.e. partner, labor coach, family member, etc.)
- Do you want other visitors or phone calls during labor?
- Do you have a preference for pain relief during labor (i.e. natural childbirth, pain medication, epidural)
- How can our staff best support you?
- Are there any special requests for your birth experience?
- Have you chosen a name for your baby?
- Have you chosen a pediatrician for your baby?