Thank you for your interest in volunteering with SJMHS. We are excited that you have chosen us for a possible volunteer placement.
Our organization values volunteer service and strives to provide a rewarding and challenging experience to those who volunteer. Through volunteering you can make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own. As a volunteer you make new friends, expand your skills and learn new things about yourself and the world around you.
Below, you will find information on how our process works and what steps you need to complete to become an SJMHS college volunteer. If you have any questions or concerns while completing the process, please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
The College program is divided into three sessions (Winter, Summer and Fall). These sessions generally follow the times of a normal college semester. Students are accepted into the program after a successful completion of an interview with the Volunteer Services Department, the completion of paperwork, which includes a background check, and completion of a take-home Volunteer orientation packet.
Students are required to commit to a minimum of two sessions (eight months). The weekly commitment is one day a week for 4 hours on a set schedule. The placement is for an entire session but placements may change for the second session. We make every effort to place students in an area they are interested in, but placement is dependent upon the number of openings and number of students applying.
Start and end dates will vary but, in general, the session follows the normal college semester.
Winter - January through the end of April
Summer - May through the end of August
Fall - September through the end of December
Deadlines for Applications
Winter Session ~ December 15th
Summer Session ~ May 15th
Fall Session ~ September 15th
Complete and submit the online application.
- Reference Letters (2 required)
Click link to access reference forms. These should be completed by 2 non-relatives.
Volunteer Services will contact you to set up a 30 minute interview, after receiving your application.
- Background Check
A criminal history/background check is conducted on all volunteers. This will be completed after your interview, at no expense to you.
- Health Screening
If you are accepted into the adult volunteer program, the bulleted list below must be completed. All immunization shots are at no expense to you and can be administered here, except the Tdap injection, which will need to be administered through your physician's office or Health Department.
- Test negative for 2 TB skin tests (If positive, volunteer must provide a clear chest x-ray report, free of charge)
- Provide immunization record or other document showing receipt of two doses of Varicella vaccine, lab test showing immunity, or provide history of having had Chickenpox.
- Provide immunization record or other document showing receipt of two (2) doses of Measles, Mumps, Rubeola (MMR) or evidence of immunity (positive antibody titer) from lab testing.
- Provide record of Tdap (Tetanus, Diptheria, Acellular Pertussis) vaccine. (The Tdap vaccine is required for anyone (regardless of age) working in a clinical setting.)
- TB, MMR vaccine may be received through your physician's office or free of charge at our Employee Health Services.
- Provide record of receiving this year's influenza vaccine. If you haven't received this year's flu shot, you will be required to get one free of charge at our Employee Health Services.
- Return your Health Clearance form to the Volunteer Department after health screenings has been completed.
- Online Orientation (To be completed after interview)
Congratulations! Once you have been accepted into the volunteer program, you will need to do the following steps for online instructions:
- Power Point
See online volunteer handbook for further clarification
Please allow thirty continues minutes to complete this quiz fully
Current College Volunteer Schedule Change Process
Current college volunteers going on to the next term with new availability must complete this form. If you do not have a change in your schedule, there is no need for you to fill this out. You can continue your assigned placement. Please submit by the dates below so that we can provide you with a new placement. We will contact you 5-7 business days after receiving your form.
Winter Session ~ January 7
Summer Session ~ May 5
Fall Session ~ September 2