Thank you for your interest in volunteering with SJMHS. We are excited that you have chosen us for a possible volunteer placement.
Our organization values volunteer service and strives to provide a rewarding and challenging experience to those who volunteer. Through volunteering you can make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own. As a volunteer you make new friends, expand your skills and learn new things about yourself and the world around you.
Below, you will find information on how our process works and what steps you need to complete to become an SJMHS college volunteer. If you have any questions or concerns while completing the process, please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
The College program is divided into three sessions (Winter, Summer and Fall). These sessions generally follow the times of a normal college semester. Students are accepted into the program after a successful completion of an interview with the Volunteer Services Department, the completion of paperwork, which includes a background check, and completion of a take-home Volunteer orientation packet.
Students are required to commit to a minimum of two sessions (eight months). The weekly commitment is one day a week for 4 hours on a set schedule. The placement is for an entire session but placements may change for the second session. We make every effort to place students in an area they are interested in, but placement is dependent upon the number of openings and number of students applying.
Start and end dates will vary but, in general, the session follows the normal college semester.
Winter - January through the end of April
Summer - May through the end of August
Fall - September through the end of December
Deadlines for Applications
Winter Session ~ December 15th
Summer Session ~ May 15th
Fall Session ~ September 15th
There are certain key requirements that we ask each volunteer to meet in order to volunteer at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System. These requirements are set in place for your protection as well as for the protection of our patients, visitors, and staff. Each requirement must be met before your first day of volunteering. The list below contains some of our requirements; however others may also apply:
- Application - Complete and submit the online application.
- Interview - All volunteers will meet with Volunteer Services staff to discuss interests, complete paperwork and determine potential placement.
- References - All volunteers will need to have two reference forms completed by non-relatives Click link to access reference forms
- Background Check - All volunteers 18 and over will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Health Screening
Vaccine requirements include:
- Tdap Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis – Vaccination required in past 10 years
- TB Screening – TB skin test required in past 12 months – Can be done here (free of charge). If you have had a previous positive TB test, please provide a copy of the chest x-ray.
- Influenza Vaccine – It is a volunteer requirement to show proof of receiving this season’s flu vaccine or a dose will be administered at no charge to you.
- If no documentation can be found, you may sign a declination form for the following: Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine and Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)
- Training/Orientation As a volunteer you are required to complete an online volunteer orientation. Volunteers will learn about policies and procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations, along with the benefits associated with volunteering. You will have an option to complete a take home orientation or complete the online version by clicking this link. Please view the power point and complete the quiz. You will have access to the volunteer handbook for further clarification. Please allow thirty minutes to complete the quiz fully.
- Uniform - Volunteers will be provided a uniform that distinguishes them as part of the volunteer team.
- Name Badge - Each volunteer receives a hospital-issued identification badge to wear at all times.
Current College Volunteer Schedule Change Process
Current college volunteers going on to the next term with new availability must complete this form. If you do not have a change in your schedule, there is no need for you to fill this out. You can continue your assigned placement. Please submit by the dates below so that we can provide you with a new placement. We will contact you 5-7 business days after receiving your form.
Winter Session ~ January 7
Summer Session ~ May 5
Fall Session ~ September 2